H2SO4 (Sulphuric acid) is a strong acid and Fe3O4 (Iron oxide) occurs in nature as the mineral magnetite. Let us know some facts about the H2SO4 + Fe3O4.
Bạn đang xem: fe3o4+h2so4
Sulphuric acid is also known as oil of vitriol. It is colorless, odorless viscous liquid. Iron (II, III) oxide is composed with the elements Oxygen and Iron. It is one of the oxides of the iron.
In this article we will discuss about the reaction between Sulphuric acid and Iron (II, III) oxide, balancing of equation and net ionic equation of the reaction.
What is the product of H2SO4 and Fe3O4
Ferric sulphate [Fe2(SO4)3], Ferrous sulphate (FeSO4) and Water (H2O) are produced in the reaction between H2SO4 and Fe3O4.
4H2SO4 + Fe3O4 = Fe2(SO4)3 + FeSO4 + 4H2O
What type of reaction is H2SO4 + Fe3O4
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is a double displacement reaction.
How lớn balance H2SO4 + Fe3O4
The reaction is balanced using following steps:
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 = Fe2(SO4)3 + FeSO4 + H2O
- The number of atoms present on both sides is counted which should be the same.
|Reactant Side||Product Side|
|2-Hydrogen atom||2-Hydrogen atom|
|8-Oxygen atom||17-Oxygen atom|
|1-Sulphur atom||4-Sulphur atom|
|3-Iron atom||3-Iron atom|
- The numbers of Sulpur atoms of both the sides of the reaction balance by adding coefficient 4 lớn the Sulphuric acid molecule at reactant side.
- 4H2SO4 + Fe3O4 = Fe2(SO4)3 + FeSO4 + H2O
- The number of Oxygen atoms of both the sides of the reaction balance by adding coefficient 4 lớn the water molecule at product side.
- 4H2SO4 + Fe3O4 = Fe2(SO4)3 + FeSO4 + 4H2O
- So the balanced chemical reaction is:
- 4H2SO4 + Fe3O4 = Fe2(SO4)3 + FeSO4 + 4H2O
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 Titration
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 bởi not undergo titration because there is no equivalence point
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 net ionic equation
The net ionic equation is
Fe3O4(s) = 2Fe3+(aq) + Fe2+ + 4O2-
This net ionic equation is derived using the steps mentioned below
- The balanced equation with phases for H2SO4 + Fe3O4
- 4H2SO4(aq) + Fe3O4 (s) = Fe2(SO4)3(aq) + FeSO4(aq) + 4H2O(aq)
- Then the equation written in splitting of compounds
- 4H2+(aq) + 4SO42-(aq) + Fe3O4(s) = 2Fe3+(aq) + 3SO42-(aq) + Fe2+(aq) + SO42-(aq) + 4H2+(aq) + 4O2-(aq)
- The net ionic equation is as follows by removing the spectator ions (ions those are same on reactant & product sides).
- Fe3O4(s) = 2Fe3+(aq) + Fe2+(aq) + 4O2-(aq)
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 conjugate pairs
The conjugate pairs of H2SO4 + Fe3O4 are as follows:
- The conjugate base of H2SO4 is SO42-
- The conjugate pair of Fe3O4 is O42-
H2SO4 and Fe3O4 Intermolecular forces
Intermolecular forces present in H2SO4 + Fe3O4 are as follows:
- Hydogen bonding, dipole-dipole interaction and Van der Waals dispersion are the intermolecular forces in H2SO4.
- Iron (II, III) oxide is ionicaly bonded lớn each other.
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 reaction enthalpy
The reaction enthalpy of H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is -282.97 KJ/mol.
Compound Moles Enthalpy of formation, ΔH0f (KJ/mol) H2SO4 4 -814 Fe3O4 1 -1118.4 Fe2(SO4)3 1 -2585.2 FeSO4 1 -928.85 H2O 4 -285.83
- The standard enthalpy of a reaction is calculated using the formula:
- ΔH0f (reaction) = ΣΔH0f (product) – ΣΔH0f (reactants)
- Thus, Enthalpy change =
- [1*(-2585.2) + 1*(-928.85) + 4*(-285.83)] – [4*(-814.0) + 1*(-1118.4)] KJ/mol
- = -282.97 KJ/mol
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a buffer solution
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 reaction does not khuông a buffer solution because Sulphuric acid is a strong acid and there can only be present a weak acid or base in buffer solution.
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a complete reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is a complete reaction and the products lượt thích Ferric sulphate, Ferrous sulphate and water are formed after completion of the reaction.
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 an exothermic or endothermic reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is an exothermic reaction because calculated enthalpy is negative that is -282.97 KJ/mol.
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a redox reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is a redox reaction due lớn change in oxidation state of iron (Fe) ion on reactant and product side.
4H2++ 4SO42- + Fe38/3O4 = 2Fe3+ + 3SO42- + Fe2+ + SO42- + 4H2+ + 4O2-
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a precipitation reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 reaction is not a precipitation reaction because no precipitate is formed during the reaction.
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a reversible or irreversible reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is an irreversible reaction because the product formed bởi not combine lớn reform reactants under the same condition.
Is H2SO4 + Fe3O4 a displacement reaction
H2SO4 + Fe3O4 is a double displacement reaction, in which sulphate ion is displaced from H2SO4 molecule and oxygen ion from Fe3O4 molecule lớn khuông Ferric sulphate and water.
Sulphuric acid reacts with Ferric oxide it gives Ferric sulphate, Ferrous sulphate and Water. It is a double displacement as well as redox reaction, it founds negative reaction enthalpy hence it is exothermic reaction.